Chief Technology Officer Obama for America
Chicago, Il April 2011 - December 2012
Obama for America is the relection campaign for President Barack Obama.
- Hired world class technology team to build the technology platform for the reelection campaign.
- Worked with team to help define and architect the solutions that helped reelect the president.
Customer in Residence Rackspace Hosting
San Antonio, TX October 2009 - April 2010
Rackspace is an IT hosting company with a focus on cloud.
- Worked with professional services department to help clients find the right solution.
- Worked with executive staff to help define better customer experience
- Represented Rackspace at conferences and small events.
Chief Technology Officer skinnyCorp, LLC
Chicago, IL August 2005 - October 2009
skinnyCorp is the parent company of the Threadless.com.
- Acted as technology leader for a company of ~60 people with revenue of ~20-30M
- Worked in a close team to design, execute and manage community websites
- Lead the technology to support Threadless.com growth.
- Grew Threadless.com from 2 barely functioning servers to over 45 devices.
- Helped bridge the gap between the internet and reality with 2 retail stores.
- Spoke about our technology at various events and conference, representing skinnyCorp and the Threadless vision.
- Managed a small team of engineers to handle the day to day maintenance and projects.
Summer Intern Squidoo
June 2005 - August 2005
Squidoo is a community website that allows users to create pages for subjects of interest.
- Worked with Seth Godin and an amazing team to help build an design the initial version of Squidoo.
- Helped define initial vision and technology for Squidoo before core staff was hired
Web Programmer Cramer and Krasselt
Chicago, IL October 2004 - July 2005
Cramer And Krasselt is an industry leading medium sized advertising agency.
- Lead technologist and technical liaison to account management and creative staff.
- Lead architect for client web applications. Worked with clients Airtran.com, Careerbuilder.com, and Barton Beers. (PHP, MYSQL, LINUX)
- Lead engineer on full life cycle of Super Bowl viral campaign, Yeknominc.com. (PHP, MYSQL, LINUX)
- Managed legacy operations for client web application management. (Perl, Navitaire SkyLights, JAVA)
Security and Software Engineer World Book Publishing
Chicago, IL June 2001 - October 2004
World Book Publishing is a leading publisher of encyclopedias and children's learning material.
- Lead development staff and managed offshore engineering team. Worked to develop and maintain World Book Publishing's client facing web presence. Helped usher in new technology and standards - moving from AIX, DB2 on IBM hardware to Solaris, Oracle on Sun Hardware. Introduced open source technology and solution. (Solaris, JAVA, DB2, AIX, XML)
- Wrote desktop content management utilities to aid in management of XML content by non-technical staff. (C#, PHP)
- Developed practices to insure content accessibility and data portability. (JAVA, XML, XSLT, C#, DB2)
- Helped develop a solid software security plan. Worked with system engineers to architect a secure production environment. Deployed production servers using open source software to meet budget constraints. (LINUX, NMAP, NESSUS, SOLARIS, AIX)
Bachelor of Arts, Computer Science and Philosophy.
Cornell College, Mt Vernon, Iowa
2002 PRIX ARS ELECTRONICA (Linz, Austria): Net Vision Honorary Mention
2010 MCIC (Chicago, IL): Data Innovation Award for the hacking the Chicago Transit Authority Bus API
2013 Crain's (Chicago, Il): 40 under 40
2013 Webby's (New York, NY): Breakout of the Year
2013 Moxie Awards (Chicago, Il): CTO of the Year
References available on request.